Tuesday, August 16, 2011

obligatory introduction posts


I've never been very good at introductions. I always skip the first several pages in a new journal, hoping to return to them later (sometimes (most of the time) I never seem to get around to it). In my mind introductions are laden with all sorts of hidden pressures. Being the sort of person who doesn't typically plan out projects beforehand, I find myself being constrained by the idea of the introductory post. After all the general expectation is that I will lay out my intentions, allowing the reader some sort of clear picture as to the content to come. Much to my dismay there is no way (at least that I know of) to magically gloss over making that first blog post. And in truth I suppose it would hardly be fair to anyone who happens upon this page to do so. So ... I will do my best to summarize the many thoughts rolling around in my head that led to the creation of this blog.
A little less than a year ago I left my home state of Michigan to do that whole "traveling and finding myself" thing. I had just finished up my senior year at university and less than a week after the graduation ceremony, experienced a difficult break from a long and drawn out relationship. I was entirely unsure what I should do next. So I left. It was a gut decision, but one that I now feel was the right one. I have since set up residence in Philadelphia, and am slowing falling in love with the charms of Pennsylvania life. This summer I moved into a new apartment with my friend Emily, and I'm looking forward to making a home here. I suppose that's sort of what this blog is about, making a home (homemaking? although that's a word my mother might use so I'll avoid it). I work at home as a self employed artist, so home is many things to me ... office, studio, restaurant, and place of rest. I need it to be all of those things for my life to run smoothly. And I need to do everything on a tight budget. Does it always function as I intend it? Well ... no. Not at all. But I still think its worth the effort to try, right?
So what exactly will be on this blog? I can't say for sure but I can almost guarantee that it will contain all of the following ... craft and DIY projects, decorating tips, recipes for cheap eats, fantastic feats of domestic prowess (I hope?), the occasional personal tangent, book reviews, music recommendation, and lots and lots of photos. Oh, and lists ... I love a good list.
Joelle

No comments: